What to Do Now?
Lately I've been struggling with what I want to do in the near future. Sure, I have presentations galore to give at UGs, CCs and VSLives, and I have some open-source projects that need attention...but the reality is, I really don't have much in the hopper in terms of concrete projects.
That's gotta change. All work and no play makes Jason a dull boy.
I do have a couple of ideas that are just in the "envisioning" phase. I'm wondering if now is the time to jump on them and make progress. Here's some sketchy (and in some cases, obtuse) descriptions:
- Write another book. This would be technical...but not a technical book. I really don't want to say any more other than that, but I do have an idea that I think is interesting. At least I think it is!
- Learn another technology. Yes, I love programming languages, and I'm not against learning Ruby or F#, but I want to do something...different. I have numerous books on genetic algorithms and evolutionary programming - I'm thinking of outlining a personal "course plan" that I'll follow to get through the books. This may translate into a series of blog posts to share what I've discovered. Number theory is also a fascinating topic that I dived into ever so briefly when I was in grad school and I'd love to dive into it again.
- Build something. Like, build rooms downstairs in my house (an office, a bedroom, and a bathroom). Although, frankly, at this point, I'm seriously thinking of "outsourcing" that activity so I can have more free time to figure out what I can do with all that free time I have.
- Play music. I keep revisiting this every year. I really want to be in a band. It never happens, though. Anybody in the Twin Cities want to start a rock band up? I'll play bass!
It's not that I'm bored or that I'm not busy. But at the same time...I really don't have any "projects" over my head (other than work-related projects) and I want to keep my brain and body active. Any other suggestions?
* Posted at 01.14.2009 04:28:59 PM CST | Link *